Call For Participation: MICRO-26 (Austin, Dec 93)

conte@oprah.ece.scarolina.edu (Tom Conte)
Tue, 21 Sep 1993 18:54:24 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Call For Participation: MICRO-26 (Austin, Dec 93) conte@oprah.ece.scarolina.edu (1993-09-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: conte@oprah.ece.scarolina.edu (Tom Conte)
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1993 18:54:24 GMT

| CALL FOR PARTICIPATION |
| AND |
| ADVANCE PROGRAM |
| THE 26th ANNUAL ACM/IEEE |
| INTERNATIONAL |
| SYMPOSIUM |
| ON |
| MICROARCHITECTURE |
| |
| with special emphasis on Instruction-Level Parallel Processing |
| |
| The Austin Marriott at the Capitol |
| Austin, Texas |
| December 1--3, 1993 |
| |
| Sponsored by ACM SIGMICRO and IEEE TC-MICRO |

WELCOME:

I would like to invite you to attend this year's International Symposium
of Microarchitecture in Austin, Texas on December 1--3, 1993. Once again,
our program committee has selected an outstanding set of papers from an
exceedingly strong body of submissions. The papers were rigorously
reviewed by the program committee members and nemerous external referrees.
The papers were accepted based on technical excellence, originality,
contribution to the research community, and quality of presentation.

It is encouraging to see the contributions of recent Micro conferences
progress into the mainstream of commercial proceessor and system design.
In recognition of this assimilation of instruction level parallelism and
also the significance of Austin as an industrial center for processor
design, we have invited several prominent speakers from industry leading
companies to present their views. I am particularly excited that Richard
Sites from Digital Equipment Corporation will be presenting the keynote
address.

The symposium will be held at the Austin Marriott at the Capitol, a few
blocks from the historic center of Texas government. More importantly,
the symposium is within walking distance of Austin's fabulous Sixth Street
entertainment district. In addition to it's rolling hills, peaceful
lakes, and scenic parks, Austin provides the largest variety of
high-quality live music of any U.S. city.

Micro is one of the oldest continuous conferences on computer design. It
has maintained its quality and relevance through constant innovation. In
recent years, the technical papers have made key contributions in the area
of VLIW and Superscalar processor and compiler design. Micro-26 will be
the third year that we have explicitly focused the conference on this
facet of research. Once again, we expect to host an interesting forum for
information exchange both throught the formal program and through informal
interaction. We invite all leading researchers and designers as well as
students to participate in this event. I personally look forward to
seeing you in Austin.

Andrew Wolfe
General Chair

MICRO-26
ADVANCE PROGRAM

WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 1
9:00 -- 10:00 Keynote Address -- Richard Sites, Digital Equipment Corp.
10:00 -- 10:30 Coffee Break

SESSION: 10:30 -- 12:00: Instruction Scheduling I

Efficient Scheduling of Fine Grain Parallelism in Loops
M. Rajagopalan and V. Allan
Utah State University (USA)

Employing Finite Automata for Resource Scheduling
Thomas Mueller
GMD Forschungsstelle an der Universitat Karlsruhe (Germany)

Software Pipelining Branch-Intensive Loops
Zhizhong Tang, Yingwei Zhang, Gang Chen, Chihong Zhang
Tsinghua University (China)
Bogong Su
City University of New York (USA)

12:00 - 1:30 Lunch - on your own

SESSION: 1:30 -- 3:00: High Bandwidth Memory Systems

A Microarchitectural Performance Evaluation of a 3.2 Gbyte/s
  Microprocessor Bus
Tim Stanley, Michael Upton, Patrick Sherhart, Trevor Mudge and Richard Brown
University of Michigan (USA)

Two-ported Cache Alternatives for Superscalar Processors
Andrew Wolfe and Rodney Boleyn
Princeton University (USA)

A Study on the Number of Memory Ports in Multiple Instruction Issue Machines
Soo-Mook Moon and Kemal Ebcioglu
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center (USA)

3:00 -- 3:30 Coffee Break
3:30 -- 4:30 Invited Speaker (TBA)
6:30 -- Welcoming Reception

THURSDAY, DECEMBER 2

8:00 -- 8:30 Breakfast
8:30 -- 9:30 Invited Speaker -- Paul K. Rodman,Member Technical Staff,
Mips Technology, Inc.
``From Twin Peaks to Power Challenge: building a superscalar MIPS processor''
9:30 -- 10:00 Coffee Break

SESSION: 10:00 -- 11:30: Parallel Microengines I

The 16-Fold Way: A Microparallel Taxonomy
Barton Sano and Alvin Despain
University of Southern California (USA)

A Comparative Performance Evaluation of Various State Maintenance Mechanisms
Michael Butler and Yale Patt
University of Michigan (USA)

Dynamically Scheduled VLIW Processors
B. R. Rau
Hewlett Packard Laboratories (USA)

SESSION: 11:30 -- 12:0: Parallel Microengines II

Prophetic Branches: A Branch Architecture for Code Compaction and
Efficient Execution
Apoorv Srivastava and Alvin M. Despain
University of Southern California (USA)

A Comparison of Superscalar and Decoupled Access/Execute Architectures
Matthew K. Farrens, Phillip L. Nico and Pius Ng
University of California at Davis (USA)

12:00 -- 1:30 Lunch -- on your own

SESSION: 1:30 -- 3:00: Coarse Grain Parallelism

Measuring Limits of Parallelism and Characterizing its Vulnerability to
Resource Constraints
Lawrence Rauchwerger
CSRD University of Illinois Champaign-Urbana (USA)
Pradeep K. Dubey and Ravi Nair
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center (USA)

An Evaluation of Bottom-Up and Top-Down Thread Generation Techniques
A. P. W. Bohm, W. A. Najjar, B. Shankar and L. Roh
Colorado State University (USA)

Techniques for Extracting Instruction Level Parallelism on MIMD
Architectures
Gary Scott Tyson and Matthew Karl Farrens
University of California at Davis (USA)

3:00 -- 3:30 Coffee Break

SESSION: 3:30 -- 5:00: Runtime Predictability

Predictability of Load/Store Instruction Latencies
Santosh G. Abraham, Rabin A. Sugumar, Daniel Windheiser
University of Michigan (USA)
B. R. Rau and Rajiv Gupta
Hewlett Packard Laboratories (USA)

Control Flow Prediction For Dynamic ILP Processors
Dionisios N. Pnevmatikatos, Manoj Franklin and Gurindar S. Sohi
University of Wisconsin-Madison (USA)

Branch History Table Indexing to Prevent Pipeline Bubbles in Wide-Issue
Superscalar
Processors
Tse-Yu Yeh and Yale N. Patt
University of Michigan (USA)

5:00 -- 5:15 Short Recess

SESSION: 5:15 -- 5:45: Parallel Microengines III

Clocked and Asynchronous Instruction Pipelines
Mark A. Franklin and Tienyo Pan
Washington University (USA)

An Analysis of Dynamic Scheduling Techniques for Symbolic Applications
Alessandra Costa, Alessandro De Gloria, Paolo Faraboschi and Mauro Oliveri
University of Genoa DIBE (Italy)

7:00 -- 9:00 Banquet
9:00 -- SIGMICRO/TC-MICRO Business Meeting

FRIDAY, DECEMBER 3

8:30 -- 9:00 Breakfast
9:00 -- 10:00 Invited Speaker (TBA)
10:00 -- 10:30 Coffee Break

SESSION: 10:30 -- 12:00: Parallel Microengines IV
MIDEE: Smoothing Branch and Instruction Cache Miss Penaties on
Deep Pipelines
Nathalie Drach and Andre Seznec
IRISA Campus de Beaulieu (France)

Register Renaming and Dynamic Speculation: an Alternative Approach
Mayan Moudgill and Keshav Pingali
Cornell University (USA)
Stamatis Vassiliadis
IGM Enterprise Systems (USA)

Speculative Execution Exception Recovery Using Write-back Suppression
Roger A. Bringmann, Scott A. Mahlke, Richard E. Hank, John C. Gyllenhaal
and Wen-mei W. Hwu
CRHC University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana (USA)

12:00 -- 1:30 Conference Luncheon

SESSION: 1:30 -- 3:00: Software Tools

EXPLORER:A Retargetable and Visualization-Based Trace-Driven Simulator for
Superscalar Processors
Trung A. Diep and John P. Shen
Carnegie Mellon University (USA)

An Extended Classification of Inter-instruction Dependency and Its
Application in Automatic Synthesis of Pipelined Processors
Ing-Jer Huang and Alvin M. Despain
University of Southern California (USA)

Superblock Formation Using Static Program Analysis
Richard E. Hank, Scott A. Mahlke, John C. Gyllenhaal, Roger Bringmann and
Wen-mei W. Hwu
CRHC University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana (USA)

3:00 -- 3:30 Coffee Break

SESSION: 3:30 -- 4:30: Instruction Scheduling III

Extending List Scheduling to Consider Execution Frequency
Michael J. Bourke III and Philip H. Sweany
Michigan Technological University (USA)

Instruction Scheduling for the Motorola 88110
Mark Smotherman, Shuchi Chawla, Stan Cox and Brian Malloy
Clemson University (USA)

Hardware Mechanisms for Removing Anti-Dependencies in Software Pipelining
H. Fatih Ugurdag
General Motors NAO R&D Center (USA)
Christos A. Papachristou
Case Western Reserve University (USA)

4:30 -- 4:45 Closing remarks and awards

MICRO-26 ADVANCE REGISTRATION INFORMATION

December 1-3, 1993
Austin, Texas, USA

Please read the following instructions carefully:

1. Conference registration for all members includes:
(a) Attendance at all sessions
(b) Wednesday welcoming reception, Thursday banquet, Friday Luncheon
(c) Conference Proceedings
(d) an official Micro-26 souveneer

2. Full payment in U.S. dollars must accompany registration.
Any registration forms sent without payment will not be accepted.

3. Advance registration must be postmarked no later than NOV. 1, 1993.

4. REFUND Policy: No refunds will be made unless written request for
cancellation is received before Nov. 15, 1993. All refunds are subject to
a $35 processing fee.

5. Checks/money orders must be made out to MICRO-26. Visa, Mastercard, and
American Express will also be accepted. Credit card registrations may be
sent via FAX.

REGISTRATION DESK
Advance registrants may pick up the Conference materials and others may
register during the Conference at the registration desk located
near the main ballroom at the Marriot.

ON-SITE REGISTRATION
On-site registration will begin at 4:00PM on Tuesday, Nov. 30.

REGISTRATION HOURS
Monday, Nov. 30, 4:00-7:00PM and during and during all Conference Breakfast
or Coffee Break hours.

ANY OTHER QUESTIONS
Please contact Registration Manager or General Chair:
Karen Williams
Department of Electrical Engineering
Princeton University
Princeton, NJ 08544
(609) 258-6728
Fax: 258-3745
ski@ee.princeton.edu

MICRO-26 ADVANCE REGISTRATION FORM

Name: _______________________________________________________________

Company/Affiliation: ________________________________________________

City: ___________________ State: _____________ Zip: _________________

Country: ____________________________ Phone: ________________________

Electronic mail address: ____________________________________________

IEEE or ACM Membership number: ______________________________________

Advance Late/On-site
IEEE/ACM Member $280 $340
Non-member $360 $420
Full-time student $185 $225

Total amount enclosed: ______________________________________________

Payment Method [check one]:

Check: [__] Visa: [__] Mastercard: [__] American Express: [__]

Make checks payable to: MICRO-26

For credit cards only:

Name on card: _______________________________________________________

Card number: _____________________________________ Exp. date: _______

Signature: __________________________________________________________

Please mail or FAX registration to:

Karen Williams
Department of Electrical Engineering
Princeton University
Princeton, NJ 08544

Fax: (609) 258-3745

Advance registrations must be postmarked no later than NOVEMBER 1, 1993.
NO REFUNDS unless cancellation is received before NOVEMBER 15, 1993.
Refunds are subject to a $35 fee.

MICRO-26 STUDENT TRAVEL GRANT

The MICRO-26 Conference will award several student travel grants. The
grant amount is $350 for each recipient, made possible with support
from Motorola. The purpose of the grant is to supplement the
advisors' research grants or the students' fellowship travel allowance
to make attending MICRO-26 more affordable. The details of the grant
are given below:

Students who are presenting papers at MICRO-26 will be given higher
priority in the selection process. We expect to have approximately 30
recipients this year.

Student applicants should fill out the enclosed application form and
e-mail the application to Tom Conte (conte@ece.scarolina.edu)
by OCTOBER 20, 1993. Receipt of the application will be acknowledged
immediately. The decision will be sent to the applicants by November 1,
1993.

The grant checks will be sent to the recipients AFTER the conference.
Each grant recipient is required to send in a one-page summary of
his/her experience with MICRO-26 after the conference via e-mail to
hwu@crhc.uiuc.edu.

The grant recipients are still required to pay the conference registration
fee. Note that all student participants will be entitled to ALL
MICRO-26 events and proceedings in spite of the lower registration fee
for students.

To apply for a travel grant, please e-mail the following information
to conte@ece.scarolina.edu:

Name, Affiliation, Expected degree and graduation date,
Area of research, Name of advisor, Postal address for sending the grant check,
E-mail address, Paper title (if presenting a paper at MICRO-25),
Have you published at MICRO before? If so, please include a list of the years

MICRO-26 HOTEL RESERVATION INFORMATION

December 1--3, 1993
The Austin Marriott at the Capitol

The Austin Marriott at the Capitol is situated on a scenic hillside at the
intersection of Interstate 35 and 11th street in downtown Austin. Just five
minutes from Austin Municipal Airport and within walking distance of the
State Capitol and the Sixth Street Entertainment District. Airport
transportation is available.

Reservations can be made by calling (512) 478-1111 or (800) 228-9290.
Please request the $75 MICRO-26 special rate.

Reservations must be made by NOVEMBER 16, 1993.

SPECIAL CONFERENCE-RATE AIRLINE RESERVATIONS

Delta Air Lines, Inc. in cooperation with MICRO-26, is offering special
discount rates to MICRO-26 participants. These fares are based on Delta's
published round-trip fares within the United States and Canada, Nassau,
Bermuda, St. Thomas, and St. Croix.

These rates include a 5% discount off any Delta domestic fare (Ticket
Designator DS305) or a 10% discount off the B06/BR06 fare (Ticket Designator
DS310). B06/BR06 fares are typically 40% less than full-fare coach.

To take advantage of these discounts:

Call Delta at 1-800-241-6760 for reservations, 8:00 AM -- 11:00 PM Eastern
Time, and refer to File Number XP0367.

Certain restrictions may apply and seats are limited. These discounts are
available only through Delta.