Re: incremental compilation via shared library

pcg@decb.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Antonio Grandi)
Sat, 11 Sep 1993 12:15:10 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
incremental compilation via shared library dave@yost.com (1993-08-25)
Re: incremental compilation via shared library cliffc@rice.edu (1993-08-29)
incremental compilation via shared library brent@jade.ssd.csd.harris.com (1993-08-30)
Re: incremental compilation via shared library pardo@cs.washington.edu (1993-09-02)
Re: incremental compilation via shared library assmann@prosun.first.gmd.de (1993-09-03)
Re: incremental compilation via shared library brett@digits.enet.dec.com (1993-09-07)
Re: incremental compilation via shared library pop@dcs.gla.ac.uk (pop) (1993-09-07)
Re: incremental compilation via shared library pcg@decb.aber.ac.uk (1993-09-11)
Re: incremental compilation via shared library tmb@arolla.idiap.ch (1993-09-20)
Re: incremental compilation via shared library brent@jade.ssd.csd.harris.com (1993-09-20)
Re: incremental compilation via shared library pcg@aber.ac.uk (1993-09-21)
Re: incremental compilation via shared library jeremy@suite.sw.oz.au (1993-09-22)
Re: incremental compilation via shared library gym@dcs.ed.ac.uk (Graham Matthews) (1993-09-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: pcg@decb.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Antonio Grandi)
Nnewsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1993 12:15:10 GMT

On Mon, 30 Aug 1993 16:28:18 GMT, Brent Benson
(brent@jade.ssd.csd.harris.com) wrote:

    I'm not sure how shared libraries come into play, but this sort of
    incremental compilation has been offered in Lisp programming
    environments for years:

    > (defun square (n) (* n n))
    SQUARE
    > (compile 'square)
    SQUARE
    > (disassemble #'square)
    [ ... ]

    While your proposal sounds interesting, I think the biggest obstacle
    to incremental compilation in traditional environments (C/C++) is a
    dynamic object file loader.

Well, you can hack one on most any BSD style environment -- indeed the
'-A' option to 'ld' and successive equivalent variants was introduced
to support extending Franz Lisp. SVR4 of course has a built-in dynamic
object file loader.

    [ ... ] These things are available, along with a threads mechanism,
    in the Xerox Portable Common Runtime (PCR). Unfortunately, it is not
    ported to any system that I regularly use.

An interersting data point: I once saw a very, very nice Objective C
based system called RMG developed in a joint HP-Stanford project. It
was very Smalltalk-like, but in color, and very much faster (everything was
compiled and dynamically loaded, class by class, or method by method).

Too bad I don't know what has become of RMG, which was perhaps about as good
or better than Smalltalk or NeXTStep. Does anybody at HP or Stanford know?