Dynamic Slices...

uysal@cs.umd.edu (Mustafa Uysal)
Wed, 21 Apr 1993 11:51:29 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Dynamic Slices... uysal@cs.umd.edu (1993-04-21)
Re: Dynamic Slices... paco@ariel.cs.rice.edu (1993-04-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: uysal@cs.umd.edu (Mustafa Uysal)
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1993 11:51:29 GMT

    Are there any references dealing with the generation of dynamic slices?
In particular, I'm interested in generation of a (backward) dynamic slice
given the state of the program execution (ie. variables, program counter,
etc).

    The idea is that, when a person writes a program that crashes, one
can(?) generate a slice that captures the part of the program causing the
crash in that particular execution. Then the programmer may concentrate on
this slice in the debugging phase. However, the information available at
the time of the crash is only the "core dump" (plus the source code). My
question is that is it possible to generate such slices (in a reasonable
time), and if yes, could you point me to relevant references?

    Thanks in advance,

    Mustafa Uysal
  (E-mail: uysal@cs.umd.edu)