Re: Looking for a MATLAB parser

jwe@emx.cc.utexas.edu (John W. Eaton)
Wed, 7 Apr 1993 22:05:04 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Looking for a MATLAB parser keerthi@leland.Stanford.EDU (1993-04-06)
Re: Looking for a MATLAB parser jwe@emx.cc.utexas.edu (1993-04-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: jwe@emx.cc.utexas.edu (John W. Eaton)
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1993 22:05:04 GMT

keerthi@leland.Stanford.EDU (Keerthi Angammana) writes:

> Does anybody know if a parser (or at least a complete grammar) for
> MATLAB is available for free someplace ?

I'm working on an interpreter called Octave that's very much like Matlab.
The parser is built using flex and bison and the whole thing is
distributed under the terms of the GNU Copyleft.

The underlying numerical solvers are currently standard Fortran ones like
Lapack, Linpack, Odepack, the Blas, etc., packaged in a library of C++
classes (see the files in the libcruft and liboctave subdirectories). If
possible, the Fortran subroutines are compiled with the system's Fortran
compiler, and called directly from the C++ functions. If that's not
possible, they are translated with f2c and compiled with a C compiler.
Better performance is usually achieved if the intermediate translation to
C is avoided.

The library of C++ classes may also be useful by itself, and they are
distributed under the same terms as Octave.

Octave has been compiled and tested with g++-2.3.3 and libg++-2.3 on a
SPARCstation 2 running SunOS 4.1.2, an IBM RS/6000 running AIX 3.2, a
DECstation 5000/240 running Ultrix 4.2a, and an i486 system running Linux
SLS 0.99-47. It should be possible to build on almost all systems where
gcc and g++ are available.

If you are on the Internet, you can copy the latest distribution version
of Octave from the file /pub/octave/octave-M.N.tar.Z, on the host
ftp.che.utexas.edu. This is a compressed tar file, so be sure to use
binary mode for the transfer. M and N stand for version numbers; look at
a listing of the directory through ftp to see what version is available.
After you unpack the distribution, be sure to look at the files README and
INSTALL.
--
John W. Eaton
jwe@che.utexas.edu