Re: Effect of pointers etc.

firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth)
Tue, 30 Mar 1993 18:16:40 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Effect of pointers etc. sharma@math.tu-berlin.de (1993-03-26)
Re: Effect of pointers etc. preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1993-03-27)
Re: Effect of pointers etc. paco@legia.cs.rice.edu (1993-03-28)
Effect of pointers etc. ssimmons@convex.com (1993-03-29)
Re: Effect of pointers etc. firth@sei.cmu.edu (1993-03-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth)
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1993 18:16:40 GMT

sharma@math.tu-berlin.de (Sharma) writes:
>The algorithms contain lots of 2 dimensional arrays (naturally). Now what
>is the cost in terms of hardware of macros such as these
>
>#define DISP1(i,j) *(dispar.disp0 + i*MAX_X0 + j)
>#define DISP(i,j) *(dispar.displr + i*MAX_X0 + j)
>#define DISPold(i,j) *(dispar.disp_old + i*MAX_X0 + j)

If this is truly an exact quote from the code, far and away the best
advice you can give your employer is to *throw the thing away*. This
program is worthless. Even if it runs correctly today - which I doubt -
the chance that it will run correctly after any change is close to zero.
To see one of many reasons why, consider the expansion of the macro
invocation

DISP1(i-1,j)