Re: Incremental Compilers/Linkers

hugh@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz (Hugh Emberson)
Thu, 25 Mar 1993 01:20:09 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Incremental Compilers/Linkers elan@tasha.cheme.cornell.edu (1993-03-19)
Re: Incremental Compilers/Linkers c1dje@watson.ibm.com (1993-03-22)
Re: Incremental Compilers/Linkers tmb@ai.mit.edu (1993-03-23)
Re: Incremental Compilers/Linkers hugh@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz (1993-03-25)
Re: Incremental Compilers/Linkers eliot@dcs.qmw.ac.uk (1993-03-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: hugh@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz (Hugh Emberson)
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1993 01:20:09 GMT

TB> In my opinion, more interesting than the rather commonplace
TB> incremental compilation is generating object code at runtime. This
TB> gives the compiler the opportunity to gather runtime statistics
TB> and generate optimized code accordingly. All systems that take
TB> advantage of runtime statistics that I know of require a two-stage
TB> process consisting of the manual gathering of profiling
TB> information followed by an optimizing compilation. Integrating
TB> these two steps at runtime would yield a system that only compiles
TB> what needs to be compiled and even adapts to changing patterns in
TB> the input data. The only commonly used, related technique that I
TB> know of is Smalltalk's backpatching. Is there any recent work that
TB> I don't know of?

Self, a dynamically typed OO language, compiles methods to machine
code "on the fly" and does incremental recompilation and optimization.

See

@string{OOPSLA89 = "OOPSLA '89 Proceedings"}
@string{OOPSLA91 = "OOPSLA '91 Proceedings"}

@inproceedings{Chambers89,
      author = {Craig Chambers and David Ungar and Elgin Lee},
      booktitle = OOPSLA89,
      note = {Published in SIGPLAN Notices 24(10)},
      pages = {49--70},
      title = {{An Efficient Implementation of SELF, a Dynamically-Typed
                          Object-Oriented Language Based on Prototypes}},
      year = {1989}
}

@inproceedings{Chambers91,
      author = {Craig Chambers and David Ungar},
      booktitle = OOPSLA91,
      note = {Published as SIGPLAN Notices 25(6)},
      pages = {1--15},
      title = {{Making Pure Object-Oriented Languages Practical}},
      year = {1991}
}

These papers and some others on Self were also published in "Lisp and
Symbolic Computation" 4(3).
--
Hugh Emberson -- CS Postgrad, hugh@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz