Re: Learning about Graph Coloring

preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (Preston Briggs)
Wed, 24 Mar 1993 03:13:32 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Learning about Graph Coloring benjamin.vitale@acadiau.ca (1993-03-23)
Re: Learning about Graph Coloring preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1993-03-24)
Re: Learning about Graph Coloring mueller@delta.cs.fsu.edu (1993-03-24)
Re: Learning about Graph Coloring johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) (1993-03-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (Preston Briggs)
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1993 03:13:32 GMT

benjamin.vitale@acadiau.ca (Benjamin Vitale) writes:

>Can anyone suggest some simple introductory information on algorithms
>for the graph coloring problem. A colleague is writing a survey paper
>on RISC compiler optimization and is having trouble finding resources.

Do you want to color graphs or allocate registers? I assume the latter.
Here's a bunch of papers

The first paper describing a complete allocator based on graph
coloring was

    title="Register Allocation via Coloring",
    author="Gregory J. Chaitin and Marc A. Auslander and Ashok K. Chandra and
                    John Cocke and Martin E. Hopkins and Peter W. Markstein",
    journal="Computer Languages",
    volume=6,
    year=1981,
    month=jan,
    pages="47--57"

A second paper describes an improved coloring heuristic

    title="Register Allocation and Spilling via Graph Coloring",
    author="Gregory J. Chaitin",
    journal=sigplan,
    year=1982,
    month=jun,
    volume=17,
    number=6,
    note=pldi82,
    pages="98--105"

(It was presented at the 1982 Compiler Construction Conference, now called
the Conference for Programming Language Design and Implementation, or
PLDI. The proceedings were printed as an issue of SIGPLAN Notices.)

My thesis describes improvements and extensions to Chaitin's work.
Basically, you don't want to use Chaitin's coloring heuristic. Instead
use mine (which relies heavily on Chaitin's work).

    author="Preston Briggs",
    title="Register Allocation via Graph Coloring",
    school="Rice University",
    year=1992,
    month=apr

Some of the results have been published separately

    title="Coloring Heuristics for Register Allocation",
    author="Preston Briggs and Keith D. Cooper and Ken Kennedy
                and Linda Torczon",
    journal=sigplan,
    year=1989,
    month=jul,
    volume=24,
    number=7,
    note=pldi89,
    pages="275--284"

    title="Coloring Register Pairs",
    author="Preston Briggs and Keith D. Cooper and Linda Torczon",
    pages="3--13",
    journal=loplas,
    year=1992,
    month=mar,
    volume=1,
    number=1

    title="Rematerialization",
    author="Preston Briggs and Keith D. Cooper and Linda Torczon",
    pages="311--321",
    journal=sigplan,
    year=1992,
    month=july,
    volume=27,
    number=7,
    note=pldi92

Chow's thesis and a PLDI paper with Hennessy describe his approach to
the problem. The paper below is the best reference to their work.

    title="The Priority-Based Coloring Approach to Register Allocation",
    author="Fred C. Chow and John L. Hennessy",
    pages="501--536",
    journal=toplas,
    year=1990,
    month=oct,