Re: Chomsky Normal Form and parsing

hdev@dutiag.twi.tudelft.nl (Hans de Vreught)
Tue, 23 Feb 1993 23:05:51 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Chomsky Normal Form and parsing ebcrmb@ebc.ericsson.se (1993-02-23)
Re: Chomsky Normal Form and parsing hdev@dutiag.twi.tudelft.nl (1993-02-23)
Re: Chomsky Normal Form and parsing eifrig@beanworld.cs.jhu.edu (1993-02-24)
Re: Chomsky Normal Form and parsing hdev@dutiak.twi.tudelft.nl (1993-02-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: hdev@dutiag.twi.tudelft.nl (Hans de Vreught)
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1993 23:05:51 GMT

ebcrmb@ebc.ericsson.se (BO/EBC/KX/ZG Michael Bergman 682 4958) writes:
>Hi everyone, >I have some more entangled(?) questions on CFG's.

>This time it's Chomsky [...] normal forms I'm interested in.

>The question is: what's the practical use of this?

If we would leave the linguistic stuff aside (Noam Chomsky is a linguist), it
gives you a very simple form of a grammar caple to generate any CFL. That is
very practical in formal language proofs: you may assume the grammar for a CFL
is in CNF.

>Can we parse this Chomsky Normal Form for sure using some parsing method?

Furthermore, because any CFG can be put into CNF it is sufficient to have
a parser for grammars in CNF. Such a parser does exist. The
Cocke-Younger-Kasami algorithm is exactly such an algorithm. The CYK
algorithm is very simple and run in O(n^3) time. Since it can handle
ambigous grammars the mainstream applications for this algorithm can be
found in NLP.

One step further, Rytter has parallelize this algorithm to obtain a fast
parallel algorithm running in O(log n) time with O(n^6) processors on a
CRCW-PRAM. O.K. O(n^6) sounds bad, but it gives the best time complexity
known.
--
Hans de Vreught
hdev@dutiba.twi.tudelft.nl