parser-generators for RRPGs: summary

Michael Dyck <dyck@cs.sfu.ca>
Mon, 22 Feb 1993 23:35:04 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
parser-generators for RRPGs dyck@cs.sfu.ca (Michael Dyck) (1993-01-28)
parser-generators for RRPGs: summary dyck@cs.sfu.ca (Michael Dyck) (1993-02-22)
Re: parser-generators for RRPGs: summary schrod@iti.informatik.th-darmstadt.de (1993-02-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Michael Dyck <dyck@cs.sfu.ca>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1993 23:35:04 GMT

I wrote:
> Regular right-part grammars (RRPGs) are a kind of phrase structure
> grammar akin to context-free grammars (CFGs). In each production of an
> RRPG, the LHS is a single non-terminal (as in a CFG), but the RHS is a
> regular expression (or finite automaton) over the symbol set (rather
> than simply a sequence of symbols, as in a CFG).
>
> There are various notations for writing RRPGs (or slight restrictions
> thereof), many called "extended BNF".
> What parser-generators are available that accept some form of RRPG?

Here's a summary of the replies. Thanks to:

Kiong Beng Kee isckbk@nuscc.nus.sg
Karsten Nyblad karsten@tfl.dk
Anton Ertl anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at
Todd Jonker tjonker@cs.cmu.edu
Tim Channon tchannon@black.demon.co.uk
Paul Oude-Luttighuis oudelutt@cs.utwente.nl
Taylor Hutt thutt@mail.casi.nasa.gov
Terence J Parr parrt@ecn.purdue.edu
Thomas Reid reid@cherry.iss.nus.sg
Judith Grass grass@research.att.com
Xorian Technologies xorian@solomon.technet.sg

I have divided RRPG parser-generators into three categories, according
to the approach taken.

Convert the RRPG to a CFG and use a 'conventional' parser generator:

Lalr, Ell (in Cocktail toolkit [formerly called Toolbox?])
    GMD Forschungsstelle an der Universitaet Karlsruhe
    grosch@karlsruhe.gmd.de
    ftp: ftp.gmd.de:gmd/cocktail

ESP (Extensible Syntax Parser)
    work-in-progress
    Todd Jonker at CMU
    (uses a Tomita parallel parser to do the parsing)

Generate a top-down parser directly from the RRPG:

reference:
    Barrett, Bates, Gustafson, and Couch
    "Compiler Construction - Theory and Practice, 2nd Edition",
    pp. 167-173
    (see article 93-02-024)

ANTLR, the parser-generator in PCCTS
    (Purdue Compiler Construction Tool Set)
    (see article 93-02-009)
    ftp: marvin.ecn.purdue.edu:pub/pccts/1.06

Gray
    written in Forth
    available from anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at
    (see article 92-05-111)

Generate a bottom-up parser directly from the RRPG:

LADE (LAnguage Definition Environment)
    Xorian Technologies Pte. Ltd
    (see article 92-05-061)

LALR
    ProSoft (formerly LALR Research)
    (see article 93-02-005)

Yacc++
    Compiler Resources, Inc.
    (see articles 92-06-142, 91-12-061, 91-09-005, 91-08-132, 91-04-071,
      and 91-03-095)

Ryacc
    Judith Grass at AT&T Bell Labs
    in-house research prototype
    Has "several (hefty) papers on Ryacc that are distributable."
    (see article 91-05-069)

?
    work-in-progress
    Karsten Nyblad at TFL, A Danish telecommunications research lab
    (see article 91-05-076)

Also, there are lists of references on RRPGs in
    91-05-069
    91-05-076
    92-06-111

-Michael Dyck, dyck@cs.sfu.ca