Re: justify use of flex vs lex

jbuck@forney.berkeley.edu (Joe Buck)
Mon, 25 Jan 1993 21:02:55 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
justify use of flex vs lex swl26@cas.org (1993-01-25)
Re: justify use of flex vs lex jbuck@forney.berkeley.edu (1993-01-25)
Re: justify use of flex vs lex zstern@adobe.com (1993-01-26)
Re: justify use of flex vs lex bart@cs.uoregon.edu (1993-01-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: jbuck@forney.berkeley.edu (Joe Buck)
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1993 21:02:55 GMT

swl26@cas.org (Steve Layten x3451) writes:
>I need to use flex instead of lex for a job I have ...
>... our current "standards" seem to discourage use of public-domain code
>in production, the standard managment argument being that we should use
>vendor-supported code so we don't have to spend time maintaing the code
>ourselves.

It appears that both you and others at your company believe that the only
two types of code in the world are vendor-supported and nonsupported.
There is a third possibility: you can hire the services of a consultant or
firm that specializes in supporting freely redistributable software. This
frees you from the necessity of supporting the code yourselves.

Cygnus Support is probably the best-known firm that does this kind of
work; there are others as well.
--
Joe Buck jbuck@ohm.berkeley.edu