Looking for PD compiler sources

psumnsky@bimacs.cs.biu.ac.il (Moshe Pasumansky)
Tue, 19 Jan 1993 19:32:37 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Looking for PD compiler sources psumnsky@bimacs.cs.biu.ac.il (1993-01-19)
Re: Looking for PD compiler sources nickh@CS.CMU.EDU (1993-01-20)
RE: Looking for PD compiler sources johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) (1993-01-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: psumnsky@bimacs.cs.biu.ac.il (Moshe Pasumansky)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1993 19:32:37 GMT

    I am a student in the course "Compiler Structure". At the end of the
course I have the project to implement some optimization techniques
developed for computers with pipeline facilities. At the beginning I
decided just to write an utility, which will receive as input assembler
programs (for example generated by a regular compiler, like gcc -S), and
reschedule instructions in them in order to eliminate different kinds of
pipeline delays. But as I understood from the literature I read, such
rescheduling often increases the life-time of local variables, and so if
the register allocation already has been done, the effect from this
rescheduling will be minimal. This leads me to look for some Public Domain
compiler sources, in order to insert my code fragments dealing with
instruction scheduling before register allocation. The additional
requirement for this compiler will be, that it will compile to the
assembler of pipeline computer.

    Please send your suggestions to
psumnsky@bimacs.cs.biu.ac.il - InterNet
psumnsky@bimacs.bitnet - BitNet

    Thanks in advance,
Mosha.
[The only freely available C compilers I know of are GCC (which isn't PD,
but is freely available in source form) and lcc. Are there other ones,
for C or other languages? -John]