Assessing a language

nharvey@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au (Nicole Harvey)
Wed, 6 Jan 1993 01:55:18 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Assessing a language nharvey@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au (1993-01-06)
Different Strokes for Different Folks (Was: Assessing a language) eifrig@beanworld.cs.jhu.edu (1993-01-06)
Re: Different Strokes for Different Folks (Was: Assessing a language) purtilo@cs.umd.edu (1993-01-07)
Re: Different Strokes for Different Folks (Was: Assessing a language) dyer@airplane.sharebase.com (1993-01-07)
Re: Different Strokes for Different Folks (Was: Assessing a language) axs@cs.bham.ac.uk (1993-01-13)
Re: Different Strokes for Different Folks patrick@cs.arizona.edu (Patrick T. Homer) (1993-01-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.ai,comp.compilers
From: nharvey@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au (Nicole Harvey)
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1993 01:55:18 GMT

Hi,
      I am involved in assessing a language. Does anyone know of a standard
set of problems that I could use to judge the languages compabilities?
      Can anyone think of a problem that represents a real need in a
language? For example, we have tested it for the eight queens problem to
show that it can do state space searches. We have also made sure it can
generate the Fibonacci numbers. Can you think of any other well known
problems?
      What things do you expect to be able to write relatively simply using
any language? I would like to here from people working in all areas.

Nicole
nharvey@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au
[It has long been my belief that preferences in languages is an entirely
religious issue. Computational capabilities aren't much of an issue since
they're all Turing equivalent. How is it for parallel multi-lingual
object-oriented database update, to pick a few buzzwords? -John]