Complex Constants in Fortran

uesu03@giac1.oscs.montana.edu (Lou Glassy)
Sat, 2 Jan 1993 00:31:45 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Complex Constants in Fortran uesu03@giac1.oscs.montana.edu (1993-01-02)
Re: Complex Constants in Fortran burley@apple-gunkies.gnu.ai.mit.edu (1993-01-04)
Re: Complex Constants in Fortran jlg@cochiti.lanl.gov (1993-01-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: uesu03@giac1.oscs.montana.edu (Lou Glassy)
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1993 00:31:45 GMT

A question for those of you who have written Fortran compilers..

Does the scanner resolve complex constants in Fortran, or does
the parser?

Here's where the question arises. Say you have a hunk of code like
the following...

      X = FU ( 1.0, 3.4 ) ! has to be a function call, but
                                                      ! the scanner doesn't know that...

I'd guess the scanner would return a stream of tokens like

      X IDENTIFIER
      = ASSIGNMENT_OPERATOR
      FU IDENTIFIER

and now comes the part I'm curious about. Should the scanner return

      ( LEFT_PAREN
      1.0 REAL_CONSTANT
      , COMMA
      3.4 REAL_CONSTANT
      ) RIGHT_PAREN

      or should the scanner return

      (1.0,3.4) COMPLEX_CONSTANT

      ???

If I go the first route, then a COMPLEX_CONSTANT must be resolved (or
'constructed') by the parser -- which is no great disaster. Conceptually,
though, it seems that constants of any type should be resolvable by the
scanner. Is there not enough contextual information available to the
scanner to do this?

Thanks in advance --
--
Lou Glassy (uesu03@giac1.oscs.montana.edu)
[In INfort I constructed complex constants in the parser because it was