Building a Lattice

un027705@wvnvms.wvnet.edu (Jon Beck)
Tue, 15 Dec 1992 12:10:14 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Building a Lattice un027705@wvnvms.wvnet.edu (1992-12-15)
Re: Building a Lattice chased@rbbb.Eng.Sun.COM (1992-12-18)
Re: Building a Lattice preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1992-12-19)
Re: Building a Lattice bjornc@groucho.csd.uu.se (1992-12-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: un027705@wvnvms.wvnet.edu (Jon Beck)
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1992 12:10:14 GMT

Can anyone point me to an algorithm for building a lattice? I happen to be
specifically interested in a lattice whose meet is set intersection, whose
join is set union, and whose partial ordering function is subset, but of
course that shouldn't matter to the algorithm. I'm posting here because it
seems as though a compiler for a language which has multiple inheritance
should have such an algorithm for building the inheritance hierarchy,
which for multiple inheritance is a lattice.

I have an algorithm which works, but it's hairy and smells bad; I was
looking for something a bit prettier and which won't leave spots on the
rug.
--
Jon Beck, Research Assistant
Department of Statistics and Computer Science