Re: control dependence question

bwilson@shasta.stanford.edu (Bob Wilson)
Wed, 16 Dec 1992 21:09:45 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
question on control dependence mcconnel@newta1.cs.uiuc.edu (1992-12-14)
Re: question on control dependence bwilson@shasta.stanford.edu (1992-12-15)
Re: control dependence question bwilson@shasta.stanford.edu (1992-12-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: bwilson@shasta.stanford.edu (Bob Wilson)
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1992 21:09:45 GMT

The following message which I posted was based on what I remembered from
reading the PTRAN report some time ago.

Carl McConnell writes:
> I've come up with a simple algorithm for computing control dependences, ...

I replied:
> This sounds like the algorithm that was used in the PTRAN compiler.
> I think it's described in a research report by Vivek Sarkar:
>
> "PTRAN - the IBM Parallel Translation System"
> IBM Research Division Report RC 16194
> 1990

I guess my memory of their control dependence analysis algorithm was a
little too fuzzy. That algorithm is the same as the one described in the
paper "Compact Representations for Control Dependence" by Cytron et al.
in PLDI '90. Instead of comparing the sets of postdominators as
McConnell's algorithm does, they build the postdominator tree and
determine the control dependences based on the immediate postdominators.
Sorry for the confusion.

Bob Wilson
bwilson@shasta.stanford.edu