Extension Languages

marks@iris.mincom.oz.au (Mark Stavar)
Mon, 14 Dec 1992 03:30:30 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Extension Languages marks@iris.mincom.oz.au (1992-12-14)
Re: Extension Languages xjam@cork.CS.Berkeley.EDU (1992-12-14)
Re: Extension Languages davis@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu (1992-12-14)
Re: Extension Languages daveg@thymus.synaptics.com (Dave Gillespie) (1992-12-15)
question on control dependence mcconnel@newta1.cs.uiuc.edu (1992-12-14)
Re: question on control dependence cliffc@rice.edu (1992-12-15)
Re: question on control dependence preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1992-12-15)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: marks@iris.mincom.oz.au (Mark Stavar)
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1992 03:30:30 GMT

[ Article crossposted from comp.editors ]

I have a question relating to extension languages for editors:

IS there any specific reason why one would choose to utilise an prefix
notation language for extensions to an editor as opposed to infix or
post-fix?

Emacs utilised its own implementation of lisp, while in the PC world,
Brief ( which has a distinctly Emacs feel about it ) uses a native macro
language which is also implemented al la prefix notation.

Does prefix notation provide some facilities for better performance for
interpretive languages. I am particularly interested since, as both Emacs
lisp and the Brief macro language were specifically written for their
respective products, I would have thought that the options would have been
available to utilise a more *natural* language interface. ( My definition
of *natural* here being similar to other procedural languages that most of
us write all day. e.g. C, Pascal, Fortran. I think you can get my drift. )

This post is not implying that anything should change in the cases sited
above. Rather, I am seeking more information as to why the particular
choices were made, what the advantages are that they provide, etc.

Thank you for any light you can shed

marks
--
Mark Stavar
Mincom

Email: marks@jove.mincom.oz.au
[People implement what they like, and what's a natural programming style
is 100% a matter of opinion depending on one's personal experience. GNU
Emacs uses Lisp because Stallman likes Lisp. Epsilon uses C. Micro-emacs
uses Trac. It's all compiled into internal bytecodes; there's not a lot
of performance difference due to the language style. -John]