Re: Cross-compiler for spim

larus@cs.wisc.edu
Tue, 8 Dec 1992 16:23:19 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Cross-compiler for spim donawa@binkley.cs.mcgill.ca (1992-12-07)
Re: Cross-compiler for spim blume@sp96.csrd.uiuc.edu (1992-12-08)
Re: Cross-compiler for spim larus@cs.wisc.edu (1992-12-08)
Re: Cross-compiler for spim blume@sp96.csrd.uiuc.edu (1992-12-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: larus@cs.wisc.edu
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1992 16:23:19 GMT

donawa@binkley.cs.mcgill.ca (Chris DONAWA) writes:
> ... spim expects that all function parameters are
> passed on the stack, whereas the MIPS C compiler does not always do this.

One correction: SPIM does NOT "expect" parameters to be passed on the
stack. SPIM is a machine simulator. It takes no position on where
software should pass parameters. I typically pass parameters in
registers, but have students generate code that passes them on the stack.

/Jim
[Jim Larus is the author of spim. -John]