MIPS assembler pessimizing instruction scheduling

moss@cs.cmu.edu
Thu, 3 Dec 1992 15:52:17 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
MIPS assembler pessimizing instruction scheduling moss@cs.cmu.edu (1992-12-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: moss@cs.cmu.edu
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1992 15:52:17 GMT

I couldn't think of a better place to post this, since it is related to
use of a compiler, though the ultimate problem may reside in the MIPS as
assembler. Anyway, here's the deal.

I was trying to help a colleague write a piece of C code that needs to be
really fast -- it's copying data to a memory mapped device register for a
high speed network interface board. I tried the following code (simplified
to show the problem):

        typedef volatile int vint;
        vint *global_p; /* initialized elsewhere to point to device register */
        void foo (int *addr) {
            int *src_p = addr;
            vint *dst_p = global_p;
            *dst_p = 0x11223344; /* header word */
            *dst_p = src_p[0];
            *dst_p = src_p[1];
            *dst_p = src_p[2];
            *dst_p = src_p[3];
            *dst_p = src_p[4];
            *dst_p = src_p[5];
            *dst_p = src_p[6];
            *dst_p = src_p[7];
        }

The compiler allocated src_p and dst_p to registers and the repeated
assignments turned into code of this form:

        lw $xx,k($src)
        nop
        sw $xx,0($dst)

Given that any memory store could (as far as the compiler/assembler know)
write over the src_p data, we cannot reorder to improve this. To get better
code I tried the following kind of improvement:

            int t0, t1;
            t0 = src_p[0];
            t1 = src_p[1];
            *dst_p = t0;
            *dst_p = t1;
            t0 = src_p[2];
            ... etc ...

With hopes of getting:

        lw $t0,k1($src)
        lw $t1,k2($src)
        sw $t0,0($dst)
        sw $t1,0($dst)

Curiously I got this instead (MIPS as 1.something and 2.0, gcc and DEC/MIPS
cc):

        lw $t1,k2($src)
        lw $t0,k1($src)
        nop
        sw $t0,0($dst)
        sw $t1,0($dst)

The assembly code produced by the compilers looked like this:

        lw $t0,k1($src)
        lw $t1,k2($src)
        .set volatile
        sw $t0,0($dst)
        .set novolatile
        .set volatile
        sw $t1,0($dst)
        .set novolatile

Clearly the assembler is making the code worse! There is a solution,
though I found it a bit distasteful: FORCE the ordering of the loads by
using volatile on them as well. This is accomplished by writing "vint
*src_p = (vint*)(addr)" rather than "int *src_p = addr". Doing so I got
the desired code.

I would be interested in understanding what algorithm the assembler
applied that (presumably) improves things in some cases, but makes things
worse here. Also, whether there is a MIPS assembler that does better.
--
J. Eliot B. Moss, Associate Professor Visiting Associate Professor
Department of Computer Science School of Computer Science