Re: Is this a new idea?

macrakis@osf.org (Stavros Macrakis)
Fri, 20 Nov 1992 16:13:26 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: Is this a new idea? pardo@cs.washington.edu (1992-11-12)
Re: Is this a new idea? thinkage!dat@math.uwaterloo.ca (1992-11-11)
Re: Is this a new idea? andrewb@lynx.cs.washington.edu (1992-11-16)
Re: Is this a new idea? drw@euclid.mit.edu (1992-11-16)
Re: Is this a new idea? firth@sei.cmu.edu (1992-11-17)
Re: Is this a new idea? clyde@hitech.com.au (1992-11-18)
Re: Is this a new idea? macrakis@osf.org (1992-11-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: macrakis@osf.org (Stavros Macrakis)
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1992 16:13:26 GMT

I (macrakis@osf.org (Stavros Macrakis)) replied:
      > This is a C-specific problem: a bug in the design of C's syntax. Most
      > other languages don't commit such foolishness, except of course those
      > with extensible syntax.

clyde@hitech.com.au (Clyde Smith-Stubbs) continued:

      ...the solution is now clear. We should all immediately abandon C

Sounds like a good idea.

      and any languages with extensible syntax,

Not many of those around these days.

      and perform an appropriate penance for having used such
      ideologically unsound tools. A month of COBOL programming sounds
      appropriate.

I don't suggest penance. I suggest improving the choice of language.

      And of course by switching to a non-extensible language we will
      immediately get the benefit of instant compilation. I'm talking about
      BASIC of course.

Recompilation is actually quite fast if you do it on appropriately-sized
chunks, e.g. individual functions or modules. Even for C, with its weak
notions of inter-module declarations, it is possible to precompile
definition headers (the processing of which is a major cost in compiling
C, especially if you use large libraries like X).

      More seriously, the typedef problem in C does cause parsing difficulties,
      but C is here to stay. Rather than pointing fingers at its design, it
      would be better to look for ways of solving the problem at hand (which was
      speeding up re-compilations).

Working on better tools for existing languages doesn't preclude working on
better tools _and_ languages.

-s