Re: Is this a new idea?

thinkage!dat@math.uwaterloo.ca (David Adrien Tanguay)
Wed, 11 Nov 1992 23:09:44 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: Is this a new idea? tmb@arollaidiap.ch (1992-11-06)
Re: Is this a new idea? henry@zoo.toronto.edu (1992-11-08)
Re: Is this a new idea? clyde@hitech.com.au (1992-11-07)
Re: Is this a new idea? dlarsson%abbaut@Sweden.EU.net (1992-11-11)
Re: Is this a new idea? macrakis@osf.org (1992-11-11)
Re: Is this a new idea? pardo@cs.washington.edu (1992-11-12)
Re: Is this a new idea? thinkage!dat@math.uwaterloo.ca (1992-11-11)
Re: Is this a new idea? andrewb@lynx.cs.washington.edu (1992-11-16)
Re: Is this a new idea? drw@euclid.mit.edu (1992-11-16)
Re: Is this a new idea? firth@sei.cmu.edu (1992-11-17)
Re: Is this a new idea? clyde@hitech.com.au (1992-11-18)
Re: Is this a new idea? macrakis@osf.org (1992-11-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: thinkage!dat@math.uwaterloo.ca (David Adrien Tanguay)
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1992 23:09:44 GMT

dnl@macsch.com (David Lombard) writes:
>I think he has described the very nature of the problem in this paragraph.
>The execution time of any *decent* compiler is not dominated by the
>lexical scan, it's the optimization and code generation that costs.

It may not improve the execution time by much, but, if the pre-tokenized
input file also has a significant compression (e.g., stripping comments),
it can save big in I/O accesses. We've used a similar technique for a C
compiler on GCOS, where the input and output of CPP can be tokenized.
This was after discovering that ~50% of the real time used by a compile
was typically spent physically reading the input (a 4-5K C source file
would commonly haul in 10 times that in header files, repeat for several
hundreds of files).
--
David Tanguay dat@Thinkage.on.ca dat@Thinkage.com uunet!thinkage!dat
Thinkage, Ltd. Kitchener, Ontario, Canada [43.40N 80.47W]