Pointer to Ref on Operator-Evaluation-Machine

buehlman@iwf.mabp.ethz.ch (Buehlmann Thomas)
Mon, 9 Nov 1992 14:22:10 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Pointer to Ref on Operator-Evaluation-Machine buehlman@iwf.mabp.ethz.ch (1992-11-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: buehlman@iwf.mabp.ethz.ch (Buehlmann Thomas)
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1992 14:22:10 GMT

I am lookin for a pointer to any text, report or similar about the following
idea:

If we build a recursive descent-parser it's very awkward to have to design
the grammar in such a way that it reflects the operators priority, arity,
associativity and the direction of evaluation. I remember that there are
some quite general evaluation schemes to evaluate such expressions without
having to adjust the grammar dramatically. Who remembers where such an
evaluation-machine is described.

Note that such techniques must be applied in Prolog for it allows for
the definition of operators in order to extend the already existing operators.

Please do reply by mail to
        buehlmann@iwf.mabp.ethz.ch
and I will post a summary of answers.

Thanks, Thomas
[The Ritchie C compiler used RD for most of the parser, but a simple operator
precedence scheme for expressions. Try that. -John]