Re: Is this a new idea?

tmb@arollaidiap.ch (Thomas M. Breuel)
Fri, 6 Nov 1992 17:32:49 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: Is this a new idea? pcwu@csie.nctu.edu.tw (1992-11-03)
Re: Is this a new idea? ryer@inmet.camb.inmet.com (1992-11-03)
Re: Is this a new idea? byron@netapp.com (Byron Rakitzis) (1992-11-04)
Re: Is this a new idea? ttk@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (1992-11-04)
Re: Is this a new idea? dak@sq.sq.com (1992-11-04)
Re: Is this a new idea? dnl@macsch.com (1992-11-04)
Re: Is this a new idea? tmb@arollaidiap.ch (1992-11-06)
Re: Is this a new idea? henry@zoo.toronto.edu (1992-11-08)
Re: Is this a new idea? clyde@hitech.com.au (1992-11-07)
Re: Is this a new idea? dlarsson%abbaut@Sweden.EU.net (1992-11-11)
Re: Is this a new idea? macrakis@osf.org (1992-11-11)
Re: Is this a new idea? pardo@cs.washington.edu (1992-11-12)
Re: Is this a new idea? thinkage!dat@math.uwaterloo.ca (1992-11-11)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: tmb@arollaidiap.ch (Thomas M. Breuel)
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1992 17:32:49 GMT

M.J.Landzaat@fel.tno.nl (Maarten Landzaat) writes:
| [a compiler] that during my editing, reads the program text I typed in so
| far, and tries to compile and link it as much as it can in the background,
| with low priority so nobody gets bad response.

There are several programming environments that do essentially that: when
you change a source file, only the changed definitions need to be
recompiled. In addition to getting fast compilation and linking, such
environments also let you fix bugs in running programs and write auxiliary
debugging functions in the same language as your main code.

Saber C/C++ notwithstanding, C/C++ semantics are rather poorly suited to
such an environment, though. Languages like CommonLisp, Scheme, and SML,
on the other hand, have been designed with this kind of programming
environment in mind. All you need to do to get such a programming
environment is to move from a 60's language (C) to an 80's (sic) language.

Thomas.