Code optimization questions

cse264ce@cs.ucsd.edu (What Is)
Wed, 4 Nov 1992 06:14:28 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Code optimization questions cse264ce@cs.ucsd.edu (1992-11-04)
Re: Code optimization questions preston@miranda.cs.rice.edu (1992-11-11)
Re: Code optimization questions Jonathan.Bowen@prg.oxford.ac.uk (1992-11-13)
Re: Code Optimization questions sanjay@equalizer.cray.com (1992-11-14)
Re: Code optimization questions jeremy@sw.oz.au (1992-11-16)
Re: Code optimization questions glew@pdx007.intel.com (1992-11-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: cse264ce@cs.ucsd.edu (What Is)
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1992 06:14:28 GMT

[1] Is there any info on optimizers that take advantage of profiler
        information? That is, the compiler creates some code that generates
        profiler information, then the code is run, then the compiler is
        run again, and it used the generated profiler information to
        generate better code.

[2] Is there any info on optimizers that take advantage of runtime
        assertions? This can help with anti dependencies, but it may have
        other advantages; for instance, if an integer is guaranteed to be
        within a certain range, then some operations on it may be cheaper,
        etc. etc.

[3] If statement A has a def-use chain to statement B, does it follow
        that statement B has a use-def chain to statement A? Is this an
        "if and only if" relation? I've checked the Dragon book, but it
        seems to have no opinion on this.

Thanks for any help,

Steve Boswell
whatis@ucsd.edu
[Multiflow had a profiler-based optimizer and I'm sure that others do, too.
-John]