Re: Subjective report on the Compiler Construction '92

Poetzsch-Heffter <poetzsch@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
Thu, 22 Oct 1992 17:48:55 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Subjective report on the Compiler Construction '92 dww@inf.fu-berlin.de (1992-10-12)
Re: Subjective report on the Compiler Construction '92 henry@zoo.toronto.edu (1992-10-14)
Re: Subjective report on the Compiler Construction '92 poetzsch@informatik.tu-muenchen.de (Poetzsch-Heffter) (1992-10-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Poetzsch-Heffter <poetzsch@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1992 17:48:55 GMT

> * Implementing High-Level Identification Specifications. Arnd
> Poetzsch-Heffter (TU Muenchen). Specification of the visibility of
> identifiers. Seems to work okay for declare-before-use languages, but
> under questioning it was determined that it might not work for FORTRAN.

The specification technique (that was only sketched in my talk) is not
restricted to visibility, but allows as well to specify e.g. overloading
resolution and similar identification problems.

And the technique is much more general than needed for declare-before-use
languages, in particular free declaration order is no problem. The
question was whether it works for languages where no or multiple
declarations of a program entity are allowed. The answer is yes, but in
some cases not as natural as one can imagine.

Arnd Poetzsch-Heffter (on the change from Munich to Cornell).