Help to select optimization strategies needed

efa@iesd.auc.dk (Erik F. Andersen)
Wed, 21 Oct 1992 19:52:58 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Help to select optimization strategies needed efa@iesd.auc.dk (1992-10-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: efa@iesd.auc.dk (Erik F. Andersen)
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1992 19:52:58 GMT

I've set out to construct an optimizer that takes as input an intermediate
language (in the form of quadruples) and as output delivers an optimized
tree (or whatever?). For that purpose I have constructed a Pascal like
language that gets parsed into quadruples.

The optimizer should do all sorts of machine-independant optimizations
such as loop-unfolding, constant-folding, jump-optimization,
copy propagation etc., but not generate any assembler code. If possible I
would also like it to try to minimize the use of temporaries, in order to
make register allocation easier for a back-end.

I don't have much experience in constructing compilers, I have however
written an interpreter and done a lot of studying in the field of
compiler construction. At home I use GNU C++ and I have looked at the
source code to try to understand more about the optimizations done there,
but what I really need is some sort of diagram of the order in which they
are done. I hope that this will help me to better understand why certain
optimizations are done at particular times.

Any suggestions as how to realize my project would also be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks for your help
Erik F. Andersen, Denmark
E-mail : efa@iesd.auc.dk

PS: If I could pull this off I might turn the project into my final
(BS), which I start in about three months.