Re: Compiler Libraries and/or built-in routines

larry@tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Larry Maturo)
Tue, 6 Oct 1992 17:36:08 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Compiler Libraries and/or built-in routines larry@tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (1992-10-06)
Re: Compiler Libraries and/or built-in routines johnm@cory.berkeley.edu (1992-10-07)
Re: Compiler Libraries and/or built-in routines henry@zoo.toronto.edu (1992-10-07)
Re: Compiler Libraries and/or built-in routines henry@zoo.toronto.edu (1992-10-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: larry@tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Larry Maturo)
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1992 17:36:08 GMT

I probably have a 6 or 8 compiler books and none of them address the
issues of libraries to any great degree. One implements Pascal library
routines by calling the C library routines in the C compiler he uses to
write the Pascal compiler and this is the most complete handling of this
subject I've seen. Is there a particular reference book compiler writers
use for this? Are there any standards?

When I call the Sin routine in one compiler how close will the answer be
to that of calling the Sin routine with the same argument in another
compiler. How does one fake floating point when the target processor has
no floating point unit? I'm starting to see many compilers that ignore
the issue and don't handle this case at all. Is faking it a black art
that's not widely known or is it difficult to allow for both software and
hardware floating point at the same time? Is there an anonymous ftpable
compiler source available that illustrates these sort of things?