Code generator generator survey?

tom@softlab.se
Thu, 24 Sep 1992 08:45:29 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Code generator generator survey? tom@softlab.se (1992-09-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: tom@softlab.se
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1992 08:45:29 GMT

We are currently investigating the possibilities of porting an IBM based
compiler written in VSPASCAL, using CGSS for its code generator part, to a
Sun environment using C.

Part of the investigation is to determine if it is possible to keep CGSS
or to to find a feasible alternative. We are aware of BEG as an
alternative, but we do not have much information about anything else.
This has lead us to consult the wisdom of the net with a couple of
questions:

1. What code generator generators are there out there? Does some kind of
survey exist? What other sources of information are there?

2. Does anyone have experience of such a task, especially porting CGSS
based code generators to BEG or to another code generator generator? Do
any conversion tools exist?

3. One important issue is efficiency: does anyone have any information
about or experience of code generators generated by code generator
generators in this respect? CGSS vs BEG? Anything else?

Any pointers are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Tom

      Tom Rindborg, SoftLab ab Phone : +46 13 21 24 70
      Teknikringen 14 Fax : +46 13 21 33 14
      S-583 30 LINKOPING Email : tom@softlab.se
      SWEDEN UUCP : uunet!mcsun!suenet!heffa!tom