Re: Introducing new operators

moss@cs.umass.edu (Eliot Moss)
Wed, 23 Sep 1992 13:02:51 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Introducing new operators kjell@cse.ucsc.edu (1992-09-22)
Re: Introducing new operators moss@cs.umass.edu (1992-09-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: moss@cs.umass.edu (Eliot Moss)
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1992 13:02:51 GMT

You argue that introducing new operators with new syntax makes code more
readable. I suggest that it is more readable only to the original author,
and quite possibly less readable to others, unless you disallow changes to
precedence and associativity, since they can be so confusing. If you are
to allow new operators, I prefer an approach such as that taken in
Smalltalk, where there is a simple and easy to remember rule about the
precedence and associativity of operators. Another interesting example is
the Larch specification language, which allows new prefix, infix, and
postfix operators to be defined, yet has rules that bascially say that
anything very complicated must be parenthesized to make the intent clear
(sorry, I don't have the detailed rules in front of me).

I think dynamic parsing may well be a solution that creates more practical
problems than it solves. (Which doesn't mean I wouldn't read your paper to
understand how to do it if it ever seems wise.)
--

J. Eliot B. Moss, Associate Professor Visiting Associate Professor
Department of Computer Science School of Computer Science