Re: Set Generators

macrakis@osf.org (Stavros Macrakis)
Fri, 21 Aug 1992 17:28:19 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Set Generators coatta@cs.ubc.ca (1992-08-20)
Re: Set Generators macrakis@osf.org (1992-08-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: macrakis@osf.org (Stavros Macrakis)
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1992 17:28:19 GMT

coatta@cs.ubc.ca (Terry Coatta) writes:

      In a system that I am working on, sets of objects are often
      specified via membership predicates. ... I am looking for are
      hints or help on a ``mechanical'' process for taking membership
      predicates and ``compiling'' them in to (imperative) procedures
      which will generate the set in question.

There has been considerable work on this problem. Of course, it is
completely intractable in general, however for many useful and interesting
cases, there are good results.

Researchers working in this area include Cordell Green, Dave Barstow,
Martin Feather. Manfred Broy, John Darlington, and others work on closely
related problems.

Green's company, Reasoning Systems (Palo Alto, CA), sells a product called
Refine which does precisely this (among other things).

-s