Re: Pros and cons of high-level intermediate languages

moss@cs.umass.edu (Eliot Moss)
Wed, 5 Aug 1992 14:30:14 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: Pros and cons of high-level intermediate languages kanze@us-es.sel.de (1992-08-04)
Re: Pros and cons of high-level intermediate languages boehm@parc.xerox.com (1992-08-03)
Re: Pros and cons of high-level intermediate languages rjbodkin@theory.lcs.mit.edu (Ronald Bodkin) (1992-08-04)
Re: Pros and cons of high-level intermediate languages optima!kwalker@cs.arizona.edu (1992-08-04)
Re: Pros and cons of high-level intermediate languages chased@rbbb.Eng.Sun.COM (1992-08-04)
Re: Pros and cons of high-level intermediate languages nfsun!gchamber@uunet.UU.NET (1992-08-04)
Re: Pros and cons of high-level intermediate languages moss@cs.umass.edu (1992-08-05)
Re: Pros and cons of high-level intermediate languages chased@rbbb.Eng.Sun.COM (1992-08-07)
Re: Pros and cons of high-level intermediate languages maniattb@cs.rpi.edu (1992-08-07)
Re: Pros and cons of high-level intermediate languages diamond@jit.dec.com (1992-08-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: moss@cs.umass.edu (Eliot Moss)
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1992 14:30:14 GMT

graham@maths.su.oz.au (Graham Matthews) said:
>[to handle cases where GC might move objects, generate C code like:]

> for( i = 0; i < 100; i++ )
> object_access(p)[i] = object_access(q)[i];

> where object_access() is a function returning a pointer to the storage
> space for the array. The C compiler will not optimise this code (you
> may have problems with global inter-procedural optimisations here but
> you can usually turn them off).

> You take a performance hit here but in the presence of GC surely you
> have to take that hit no matter what IL you use?

Looks like a *big* performance hit for every array access, since you're
talking about doing a real procedure call (otherwise, it may boil down to what
I wrote and you get back into the problems previously discussed)!

> Now if you are really sure that 'q' and 'p' above will not move (eg:
> you only preform GC on allocation or deletion and you are sure that
> there will be no collections inside the loop) you can code the loop as
> you suggest above and the performance will be better. If you cannot
> guarantee this condition then you cannot code the loop as above.

See our paper in the last SIGPLAN conference which describes a *working
system* that can handle the kind of code I originally presented. It works
by generating tabular information for the collector to use. This incurs a
space cost, but impacts run-time performance minimally. There are cases
where additional values have to be kept around, which might increase
register pressure a little, but it appears to be a minor effect.

As for changes/extensions to C to make it easier to gc, Hans Boehm has
worked up a proposal for making C safe for gc (for conservative gc at
least; I can't recall if it would allow other kinds of gc). I certainly
think it's *possible*; whether people would accept the necessary language
definition changes is another matter.
--

J. Eliot B. Moss, Associate Professor
Department of Computer Science