Question on moving from interpreted language to hypercube executable

brannon@stun4r.cs.caltech.edu (Terrence M. Brannon)
Tue, 4 Aug 1992 02:28:17 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Efficient generation of LALR(1) look-aheads in Parser Generators andrewd@cs.adelaide.edu.au (1992-07-27)
Re: Efficient generation of LALR(1) look-aheads in Parser Generators karsten@tfl.dk (1992-08-03)
Question on moving from interpreted language to hypercube executable brannon@stun4r.cs.caltech.edu (1992-08-04)
Re: moving from interpreted language to hypercube executable pardo@cs.washington.edu (1992-08-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: brannon@stun4r.cs.caltech.edu (Terrence M. Brannon)
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1992 02:28:17 GMT

Here is what I have been toying around with lately:

- large-grained objects:

Emacs Lisp, Perl, Python, Tcl all are powerful interpreted languages which
have nice string-handling and math libraries. I am working on allowing
each of these languages to serve as remote procedure call servers. For
example, if you are programming in Perl but Python has a nice string-split
function, you simply issue a rpc call to the Python server and continue
your work in Perl.

Ultimately however, I am working on scientific applications in Chemistry
and High-Energy Physics and I want to create executables which will map to
distributed computation on a network of Sun Sparcstations or a hypercube.

My question is: how can I take an interpreted program (let's say an emacs
lisp program) and create an architecture-specific executable?
--

Terrence Brannon (brannon@jove.cs.caltech.edu)
medical biology via acupuncture and particle physics