Summary of information on automatic data structure selection

dberry@csa.cs.technion.ac.il (dberry)
Tue, 28 Jul 1992 06:02:39 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Summary of information on automatic data structure selection dberry@csa.cs.technion.ac.il (1992-07-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.software-eng,comp.compilers,comp.lang.ada
From: dberry@csa.cs.technion.ac.il (dberry)
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1992 06:02:39 GMT

As requested, I am posting a summary of what I got so far..
------------
Subject: automatic selection
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 92 15:53:05 STD

Hi Dan,

I am interested in this topic, too. I would be glad if you could
send me your references. Here are mine:

Experience with the SETL optimizer,
ACM Transactions on Prog Lang Vol.5 No.1 1983, pp.26

Automatic Technique for Selection of Data Rep. in SETL programs
ACM Transactions on Prog Lang Vol.3, No.2, 1981, pp.126-

Automatic Data structure selection in SETL
6th Ann. ACM Symp. o. Princ. of Prog.Lang. 1979

Enough???
(Maybe... :-) [Dan])

Reinhard

------------------------------------

Subject: Re: looking for information on automatic data structure selection
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 92 11:47:50 EDT

I'm presently doing my PhD thesis on automatic data structure representation
for massively parallel processing, and am therefore interested in any
replies you receive. Most of the work that I have seen of these issues
is fairly old: 70's and early 80's.

(that seems to universally true [Dan])

Here are some references from my bibliography:

SETL has a representation sublanguage for describing how sets should be
stored. This was later replaced/superceded by compiler smarts:

@book{Schwartz86,
        Author = "J. T. Schwartz and R. B. K. Dewar and E. Dubinsky and
E. Schonberg",
        Title = "Programming with Sets: An Introduction to SETL",
        Publisher = springer,
        Address = "New York",
        Year = 1986}

@article{Schwartz75,
        Author="J.~T. Schwartz",
        Title="Automatic Data Structure Choice in a Language of Very High Level",
        Journal=cacm,
        Year=1975,
        Month= dec,
        Pages="722--728",
        Volume= 18,
        Number= 12,
        Note="Earlier version of material in Schonberg81."}

@article{Schonberg81,
          Author="Edmond Schonberg and Jacob~T. Schwartz and Micha Sharir",
          Title="An Automatic Technique for Selection of Data Representations in
{SETL} Programs",
          Journal=toplas,
          Year=1981,
          Pages="126--143",
          Month=apr ,
          Volume= 3,
          Number= 2}

For nitty-gritty details of how the compiler analysis works and is used:
@article{Freudenberger83,
        Author="Stefan~M. Freudenberger and Jacob~T. Schwartz and Micha Sharir",
        Title="Experience with the {SETL} Optimizer",
        Journal=toplas,
        Year=1983,
        Month= jan,
        Pages="26--45",
        Volume= 5,
        Number= 1}

Non-SETL work:
@inproceedings{Low76,
        Author="James Low and Paul Rovner",
        Title="Techniques for the Automatic Selection of Data Structures",
        Booktitle=popl,
        Year=1976,
        Pages="58--67",
        Organization=acm,
        Note="automatic selection of data structures in SAIL programs. semantic
analysis of code to determine which of several data structures can be used
for representing a high-level data type. Has detailed cost model for
each representation. picks best choice based on time-space product
as determined by cost model, questions to user and profiling. allows
multiple representations of data at the same time."}

There's also some relevent work on Bliss which I haven't tried to track down
yet.

Date: Mon, 20 Jul 92 17:44:39 -0700

You might want to take a look at the "Programmers Apprentice" work. I
think it's published by the ACM Press.

(There have been numerous publications about it in the Software Engineering
literature.. [Dan])

------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1992 14:53:35 GMT

There's a nice series of papers by the SETL group at NYU. The first is on
manual selection of data structures, the second is concerned with
automatic selection of data structures, and the third is a description of
the optimizer.

Preston Briggs

@article{dewar:79,
    title="Programming by Refinement, as Exemplified by the {SETL}
                                  Representation Sublanguage",
    author="Robert B. K. Dewar and Arthur Grand and Ssu-Cheng Liu and
                                  Jacob T. Schwartz and Edmond Schonberg",
    journal=toplas,
    year=1979,
    month=jul,
    volume=1,
    number=1,
    pages="27--49"
}

@article{schonberg:81,
    title="An Automatic Technique for Selection of Data Structures in
                                  {SETL} Programs",
    author="Edmond Schonberg and Jacob T. Schwartz and Micha Sharir",
    journal=toplas,
    year=1981,
    month=apr,
    volume=3,
    number=2,
    pages="126--143"
}

@article{freudenberger:83,
    title="Experience with the {SETL} Optimizer",
    author="Stefan M. Freudenberger and Jacob T. Schwartz and Micha Sharir",
    pages="26--45",
    journal=toplas,
    year=1983,
    month=jan,