Re: COFF and byte ordering

Chris Eich <chrise@hpsrcje.sr.hp.com>
Wed, 1 Jul 1992 17:37:37 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
COFF and byte ordering chrise@sr.hp.com (Chris Eich) (1992-06-25)
Re: COFF and byte ordering sac@cygnus.com (1992-06-26)
Re: COFF and byte ordering chrise@hpsrcje.sr.hp.com (Chris Eich) (1992-06-26)
Re: COFF and byte ordering chrise@hpsrcje.sr.hp.com (Chris Eich) (1992-07-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Chris Eich <chrise@hpsrcje.sr.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1992 17:37:37 GMT

I had written:

        One person suggested conv(1), which seems to be BSDish ....

I got email correcting me; conv is from AT&T and specifically deals with
other-endian COFF files. (The name "conv" is much too generic for such a
program; I'd rather it be "coffconv". But then, I'm not AT&T. See Figure
1. :-)

So it looks like the summary is:

1. The tools themselves may recognize and swap other-endian COFF files.

2. Else if you have "conv" (is it standard in SVR3 or 4?), use it.

3. Otherwise, the GNU binutils seem to be able to do the job.

Chris