Re: Interpreters and computationally intensive programs

chambers@klamath.cs.washington.edu (Craig Chambers)
Fri, 26 Jun 1992 13:57:30 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Interpreters and computationally intensive programs kendall@centerline.com (1992-06-24)
Re: Interpreters and computationally intensive programs chambers@klamath.cs.washington.edu (1992-06-26)
Re: Interpreters and computationally intensive programs andrew@rentec.com (1992-06-27)
Re: Interpreters and computationally intensive programs macrakis@osf.org (1992-07-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: chambers@klamath.cs.washington.edu (Craig Chambers)
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1992 13:57:30 GMT

kendall@centerline.com (Sam Kendall) writes:
|> For this reason, a practical interpreter allows the mixing of interpreted
|> and compiled code. An ideal interpreter (not ours, unfortunately) allows
|> you to swap between interpreted and compiled code in the middle of
|> execution, so that you can execute at full speed for a while, then swap
|> some of your program into interpreted code, then continue executing.

My recent PLDI'92 paper (together with Urs Hoelzle and David Ungar)
describes related techniques used in the Self implementation to debug
optimized code. The system transparently de-optimizes optimized
compiled code when it needs to be single-stepped through. When not
single stepping through code, it runs at full optimized speed.

-- Craig Chambers