Re: A lesson for compiler warning writers

mjr@decuac.DEC.COM (Marcus J. "will do TCP/IP for food" Ranum)
Tue, 23 Jun 1992 13:42:55 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: A lesson for compiler warning writers preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1992-06-21)
Re: A lesson for compiler warning writers mjr@decuac.DEC.COM (1992-06-22)
Re: A lesson for compiler warning writers prener@watson.ibm.com (1992-06-22)
Re: A lesson for compiler warning writers derek@knosof.uucp (1992-06-22)
Re: A lesson for compiler warning writers kendall@centerline.com (1992-06-23)
Re: A lesson for compiler warning writers rjbodkin@theory.lcs.mit.edu (Ronald Bodkin) (1992-06-23)
Re: A lesson for compiler warning writers mjr@decuac.DEC.COM (1992-06-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: mjr@decuac.DEC.COM (Marcus J. "will do TCP/IP for food" Ranum)
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1992 13:42:55 GMT

>Of course there are small language differences no matter what you do, but
>either of these approaches has proven practical many times.

As long as they are fairly reasonable, I find this acceptable. Yet
another advantage of developing one's code in an interpreted environment
prior to compiling it is that it is effectively a miniature "port" of the
code - it'll help weed out questionable stuff.

I'm too cynical about "standards" - there are always differences
that creep in. Let's accept that and tailor our development methodologies
to incorporate an awareness of this. If C is "standard" but not everyone's
implementation of "standard C" supports some funky ANSI-ism, then only a
fool will rely on it in code. Yeah, I realize that it's the fault of the
compiler writer for not supporting the feature - but assigning fault
doesn't make the code work so it's a moot point.

mjr.