RE: I'm looking for a Cobol to C translator

Craig Neth 3M33; DTN 381-2174 <neth@tools.enet.dec.com>
Fri, 19 Jun 1992 20:12:26 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
I'm looking for a Cobol to C translator peter@csg.uwaterloo.ca (1992-06-16)
RE: I'm looking for a Cobol to C translator neth@tools.enet.dec.com (Craig Neth 3M33; DTN 381-2174) (1992-06-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Craig Neth 3M33; DTN 381-2174 <neth@tools.enet.dec.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1992 20:12:26 GMT

A recent poster asks about COBOL to C translators. I have tried one; It
was called 'COBLIX-C' or something similar. At the time, the company
producing it had tools called 'FORTRIX-C' and other similarly named tools.
Unfortunately, I've lost the companies name put perhaps the product name
will help in the search.

All things considered, it worked fairly reasonably. But I wonder if the
requestor is hoping to maintain the resulting C code. I found that would
be difficult, because C doesn't have support for most of the standard
COBOL datatypes. So all data manipulation in the resulting C code is
expressed in terms of massive numbers of calls to routines in the COBLIX
runtime. Defining this data was also clumsy.

In short, the resulting C worked but I think it would be more expensive to
maintain the C than the COBOL. But I might be biased too, since I work on
COBOL compilers :-)

--
Craig Neth !Inet : neth@tools.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corporation ! or : c.neth@xopen.co.uk