Re: A lesson for compiler warning writers

maniattb@cs.rpi.edu (Bill Maniatty)
Wed, 17 Jun 1992 21:41:05 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
A lesson for compiler warning writers Garrett.Wollman@UVM.EDU (1992-06-10)
Re: A lesson for compiler warning writers mcdaniel@adi.com (1992-06-12)
Re: A lesson for compiler warning writers tmb@arolla.idiap.ch (1992-06-17)
Re: A lesson for compiler warning writers maniattb@cs.rpi.edu (1992-06-17)
Re: A lesson for compiler warning writers stephen@estragon.uchicago.edu (1992-06-18)
Re: A lesson for compiler warning writers arnold@cc.gatech.edu (1992-06-18)
Re: A lesson for compiler warning writers xjam@cork.CS.Berkeley.EDU (1992-06-18)
Re: A lesson for compiler warning writers hays@ssd.intel.com (1992-06-18)
Re: A lesson for compiler warning writers kendall@centerline.com (1992-06-19)
Re: A lesson for compiler warning writers wicklund@intellistor.com (1992-06-18)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: maniattb@cs.rpi.edu (Bill Maniatty)
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1992 21:41:05 GMT

tmb@arolla.idiap.ch (Thomas M. Breuel) writes:
> [ re using lint programs]
> That's not really a "much easier [...] choice". Lint programs tend to run
> quite slowly. That means that either your edit-compile-test cycle will
> become much slower, or that you won't run lint on every compilation.

Slowness is a problem, but correctness is far more serious. There are
many instances of lints having different grammars than their associated
compilers. Running a lint program is not always a good option. I have
worked in some environments (such as S.C.O. Xenix) where the compiler and
lint program accepted different grammars (compiler was sort of Ansi
Compliant, lint was K and R, in this case lint could not handle
prototypes).

You have to be sure that the tool that does the checking is 100 %
compliant with the compiler. I think the best way to do that is to make
the compiler rigorous in its checking. This also serves the purpose to
make sure that the compiler user knows that there is something about the
code that the compiler does not like.

Bill