Re: A lesson for compiler warning writers

mcdaniel@adi.com (Tim McDaniel)
Fri, 12 Jun 1992 15:23:12 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
A lesson for compiler warning writers Garrett.Wollman@UVM.EDU (1992-06-10)
Re: A lesson for compiler warning writers mcdaniel@adi.com (1992-06-12)
Re: A lesson for compiler warning writers tmb@arolla.idiap.ch (1992-06-17)
Re: A lesson for compiler warning writers maniattb@cs.rpi.edu (1992-06-17)
Re: A lesson for compiler warning writers stephen@estragon.uchicago.edu (1992-06-18)
Re: A lesson for compiler warning writers arnold@cc.gatech.edu (1992-06-18)
Re: A lesson for compiler warning writers xjam@cork.CS.Berkeley.EDU (1992-06-18)
Re: A lesson for compiler warning writers hays@ssd.intel.com (1992-06-18)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: mcdaniel@adi.com (Tim McDaniel)
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1992 15:23:12 GMT

Garrett.Wollman@UVM.EDU (Garrett Wollman) writes
> For that matter, if only other compiler vendors could take the lesson
> from GCC and emit helpful, user-controllable diagnostics.

Another choice, and much easier, is to use a good lint program. I am
very happy with FlexeLint from Gimpel Software. The three main
features:
- It's compatable with ANSI C or K&R dialects.
- Each of the 300-odd messages can be individually suppressed, on a
    message-number basis (and a symbol name or file name basis where
    appropriate). Messages can be turned off and on in code, via
    comments.
- It's distributed in source, though obsfucated, so it's fairly
    portable.

Disclaimer: I'm just a satisfied customer; I have no financial or
other interest in Gimpel Software, except for wanting future releases.

Gimpel Software
3207 Hogarth lane
Collegeville, PA 19426
telephone: +1 215 584-4261
--
Tim McDaniel Applied Dynamics Int'l.; Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Internet: mcdaniel@adi.com UUCP: {sharkey,heifetz}!amara!mcdaniel