Re: Wanted: References about Recursion

spuler@coral.cs.jcu.edu.au (David Spuler)
Fri, 5 Jun 1992 03:10:12 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Wanted: References about Recursion sfitzger@cs.ulowell.edu (1992-06-03)
Re: Wanted: References about Recursion spuler@coral.cs.jcu.edu.au (1992-06-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.parallel,comp.compilers
From: spuler@coral.cs.jcu.edu.au (David Spuler)
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1992 03:10:12 GMT

sfitzger@cs.ulowell.edu (Steven M. Fitzgerald) writes:

> Can someone give me some pointers to references discussion one
>or more of the following topics;

> 1) Classifications or taxonomies of recursion algorithms.
> e.g. tail recursion, mutual recursion

> 2) Methods or algorithms to transform recursive algorithms.
> e.g. tail recursive algorithm into an
> algorithm using an iterative method
> (via while loop)

> 3) Optimization technics for recursion.

Jon Bentley's book "Writing Efficient Programs" discusses this on p80 and
a few other pages (look up the index), he also refers to Steele and Knuth
as having a detailed discussion:

Bentley, Jon, Writing Efficient Progams, Prentice Hall, 1982

Knuth, D., Structured Programming with Goto Statements, Computing Surveys
vol 6 no 4, Dec 1974, pp261-301

Steele, G, 1977, "Debunking the expensive procedure call myths",
Proceedings of the ACM National Conference (is this perhaps CACM? JACM? I
don't know) Oct 1977, p153-162

> 4) Anything else that might seem appropriate.

I also saw a pretty neat book called "Recursion via Pascal" by Rohl and
Soden Cambridge Uni Press, 1984 which covered how to do lots of things
recursively.

Hope this is useful,
David Spuler
--
David Spuler
James Cook University of North Queensland, Australia