Optimized cross-language interfaces

scott@cs.rochester.edu (Michael Scott)
Thu, 4 Jun 1992 17:23:23 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Caller allocates space for callee-save registers pardo@cs.washington.edu (1992-05-21)
Re: Caller allocates space for callee-save registers dalamb@qucis.queensu.ca (1992-06-03)
Optimized cross-language interfaces scott@cs.rochester.edu (1992-06-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: scott@cs.rochester.edu (Michael Scott)
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1992 17:23:23 GMT

I've been trying for some time to get a graduate student interested in the
topic of optimized cross-language interfaces. Ideally, I'd like to see a
method of formally describing not only data structures (ala IDL), but also
procedure calling conventions. Given an interface description in language
X, and a formal specification of how the compilers for languages X and Y
implement their data types and interfaces, it ought to be possible in many
(though certainly not all) cases to automatically generate a customized
stub that allows code in language Y to call the code in language X with as
little overhead as possible. Current systems for heterogeneous computing
(e.g. RPC stub generators) generally require the interface to be specified
in some universal language, and produce caller and callee stubs that
convert to and from a standard universal format, whether or not such
conversion is required. It ought to be possible to do better.
--
Michael L. Scott
Computer Science Dept. (716) 275-7745, 5671