LEX/YACC - grammar problems and printing error messages

thiemann@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de (Peter Thiemann)
Tue, 2 Jun 1992 11:47:35 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
LEX/YACC - grammar problems and printing error messages nett@technix.mn.org (1992-05-28)
Re: LEX/YACC - grammar problems and printing error messages johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us (1992-05-28)
Re: LEX/YACC - grammar problems and printing error messages craig@comp.lancs.ac.uk (1992-05-29)
LEX/YACC - grammar problems and printing error messages thiemann@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de (1992-06-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: thiemann@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de (Peter Thiemann)
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1992 11:47:35 GMT

nett@technix.mn.org (Jerry Nettleton) writes:
>As grammar errors are found, I was wondering how to
>associate the source line/column with an appropriate error message. Since
>lex deals with tokens and yacc parses the grammar, how can I get the
>current line of input to print error messages?

The compiler construction toolkit of GMD Karlsruhe, Germany, has all
the features that you want. Its scanner generator, REX, does line
buffering and keeps track of the source position in a struct with
members line and column. There is also a converter from LEX input to
REX input included.

It has been announced in this group before, and can be ftp'd from
/rusmv1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de:/soft/unix/programming/compilerbau/...

Cheers,
Peter Thiemann