Re: standard intermediate representation for C/C++ ?

kendall@centerline.com (Sam Kendall)
Wed, 27 May 1992 18:07:20 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: standard intermediate representation for C/C++ ? dalamb@qucis.queensu.ca (1992-05-13)
Re: standard intermediate representation for C/C++ ? rascal@verdix.com (1992-05-14)
Re: standard intermediate representation for C/C++ ? bevan@computer-science.manchester.ac.uk (Stephen J Bevan) (1992-05-15)
Re: standard intermediate representation for C/C++ ? macrakis@osf.org (1992-05-15)
Re: standard intermediate representation for C/C++ ? mjordan@src.dec.com (1992-05-15)
Re: standard intermediate representation for C/C++ ? bevan@computer-science.manchester.ac.uk (Stephen J Bevan) (1992-05-16)
Re: standard intermediate representation for C/C++ ? kendall@centerline.com (1992-05-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: kendall@centerline.com (Sam Kendall)
Date: Wed, 27 May 1992 18:07:20 GMT

Stephen J Bevan <bevan@computer-science.manchester.ac.uk> writes:

      Considering the mess you can generate with macros and #ifdefs, I think a
      good C-DIANA would be very tough (if not impossible) to design. However,
      I think this says more about the design (sic) of C(++) than it does about
      DIANA like standards.

In his defense, Stroustrup (the designer of C++) has tried to invent
features that replace existing usages of macros and are syntactically
better-behaved. The most recent such feature is templates (generics).

The closest thing to a DIANA-like thing for C comes from ProCASE; I think
their product is called SmartSystem. They store a syntax tree, and they
also remember the mapping between macroexpansions and that syntax tree.
As far as I know this data structure is entirely proprietary and is not
directly accessible even to customers; they use it to drive their user
interface.
----
Sam Kendall kendall@CenterLine.COM
CenterLine Software Inc. (formerly Saber Software) uunet!saber!kendall
+1 617 498-3238 FAX: +1 617 868-6655