LL vs LR

tiller@solace.me.uiuc.edu (Mike Tiller)
Sun, 10 May 1992 17:51:01 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
LL vs LR tiller@solace.me.uiuc.edu (1992-05-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: tiller@solace.me.uiuc.edu (Mike Tiller)
Date: Sun, 10 May 1992 17:51:01 GMT

I am not very well versed in the theory of compilers, but I do use
YACC quite a bit in what I do. I noticed a posting on the net the other
day for PCCTS and downloaded it. It has some features that are very
useful to me but I noticed it spawned this discussion about LL. What I
would like to know is, what are the practical differences? In other
words, how would it affect my work? Basically, I just use yacc (bison
whatever) to parse some input specification files. Simple grammars
compared to language grammars. Is there anything to be cautious of when
using LL? I looked in Principles of Compiler Design, but I couldn't
decipher exactly what the pros and cons were.

Thanks for any information.

Michael Tiller
University of Illinois
(Urbana-Champaign)