Compiling for Alpha

lindsay@GANDALF.CS.CMU.EDU
Sun, 10 May 1992 02:22:23 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiling for Alpha lindsay@GANDALF.CS.CMU.EDU (1992-05-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: lindsay@GANDALF.CS.CMU.EDU
Date: Sun, 10 May 1992 02:22:23 GMT

DEC's Alpha Architecture Handbook (available at 1-800-332-2717) has some
material of interest to compiler writers.

I don't want to type in all of Appendix A, but I'll give one example of
their comments:

If an if-then-else construct has an execution profile skewed slightly from
50-50 (51-49 is enough) then the correct code sequence involves a single
conditional branch which normally falls through into the likeliest arm.
Branch-taken should go to the less-likely arm, which should terminate in
an unconditional-branch back to the procedure mainline.

This may seem a bit low-level, but they give reasons for several of their
rules, and most of the suggestions sound like they apply to other machines
as well.
--
Don D.C.Lindsay Carnegie Mellon Computer Science