Automatic Structuring of Unstructured Programs (for C)

hendren@lucy.cs.mcgill.ca
Mon, 4 May 1992 15:26:10 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Automatic Structuring of Unstructured Programs (for C) hendren@lucy.cs.mcgill.ca (1992-05-04)
Re: Automatic Structuring of Unstructured Programs (for C) adegrey@abcl.co.uk (1992-05-05)
Re: Automatic Structuring of Unstructured Programs (for C) moss@cs.umass.edu (1992-05-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: hendren@lucy.cs.mcgill.ca
Date: Mon, 4 May 1992 15:26:10 GMT

We interested in finding out about the current status in the field of
automatic structuring of imperative programs. More specifically, we are
interested in techniques for transforming C programs with gotos into
equivalent C programs without gotos.

Any information relating to the following would be very useful:

(1) Research done in the area of automatic restructuring of any imperative
        progamming language.

(2) Tools that already exist for structuring C programs.

(3) Examples of "hard-to-structure" programs that occur in real programs.

(4) Examples of "easy-to-structure" programs that occur in real programs.

(5) Why we need goto in C.

If there are many responses I will summarize.

Thanks, Laurie Hendren (hendren@cs.mcgill.ca)
[I find that the main place I still find gotos useful in C programs is to
do explicit tail merging, particularly in switch statements. -John]