Re: Do I need to invent a new type of parser?

Jan.Rekers@cwi.nl (Jan Rekers)
Tue, 21 Apr 1992 07:34:04 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Do I need to invent a new type of parser? jeffk@ecst.csuchico.edu (Jeffery Alan Keasler) (1992-04-20)
Re: Do I need to invent a new type of parser? Jan.Rekers@cwi.nl (1992-04-21)
Re: Do I need to invent a new type of parser? jeffk@ecst.csuchico.edu (1992-04-22)
Re: Do I need to invent a new type of parser? stephen@estragon.uchicago.edu (1992-04-26)
Re: Do I need to invent a new type of parser? hagerman@ece.cmu.edu (1992-04-28)
Re: Do I need to invent a new type of parser? stephen@estragon.uchicago.edu (1992-04-29)
Re: Do I need to invent a new type of parser? anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (1992-05-04)
Re: Do I need to invent a new type of parser? visser@fwi.uva.nl) (1992-05-06)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Jan.Rekers@cwi.nl (Jan Rekers)
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1992 07:34:04 GMT

jeffk@ecst.csuchico.edu (Jeffery Alan Keasler) writes:
|> I am especially interested in methods of handling operators which have
|> greater than dyadic associativity. I would also like to know about any
|> good papers available concerning efficient methods of handling arbitrarily
|> long lookahead under heavy overloading of operators.

You should take a look at the parsing and priority resolution scheme used
in SDF. We use a parser that returns ambiguous parse trees and the
priorities are used afterwards for two tree-weeding phases: First all
trees that contain priority conflicts are removed, next the same
priorities are used to compare the remaining trees and choose the
``largest'' tree. I am quite sure that all your priority schemes can be
expressed in SDF.

The reference for SDF is:
J. Heering and P.R.H. Hendriks and P. Klint and J. Rekers,
The syntax definition formalism SDF - reference manual,
SIGPLAN Notices 24(11), pages 43-75, 1989

Jan Rekers (Jan.Rekers@cwi.nl) Centrum voor Wiskunde en Informatica (CWI)
                                                P.O. Box 4079, 1009 AB Amsterdam, The Netherlands