Space-efficient LR parser table representations

dimitren+@A.NL.CS.CMU.EDU (Dimitre Novatchev)
Mon, 02 Dec 91 18:50:29 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Space-efficient LR parser table representations dimitren+@A.NL.CS.CMU.EDU (1991-12-02)
Re: Space-efficient LR parser table representations tom@travis.csd.harris.com (1991-12-03)
Re: Space-efficient LR parser table representations arnold@terminus.gatech.edu (1991-12-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: dimitren+@A.NL.CS.CMU.EDU (Dimitre Novatchev)
Originator: dimitren@A.NL.CS.CMU.EDU
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 91 18:50:29 GMT

Hi, compiler writers,

Have you any experience in representing parser tables space-efficiently
(eg. compressed)?

I am particularly interested in LR parsing tables (ACTION and GOTO) but
any appropriate data or ideas are welcome.

If this turns out to be an interesting topic for quite a large number of
people I will post a summary of all replies I've received.

In your mail, please, outline the following:

    - the particular data structures used;

    - source of the information (eg. book, authors etc);

    - space efficiency (in % relative to the uncompressed tables);

    - effect on the run-time efficiency of the parser (eg. slowdown
        is considerable - % or negligable - %);

    - the experiments that yielded the above values (eg. the exact
        grammars, number of rules etc).

Thank you.

Dimitre Novatchev.