Re: info on portable assemblers

s891961@minyos.xx.rmit.OZ.AU (Peter David Cupit)
Mon, 18 Nov 1991 00:39:52 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
info on portable assemblers acmfiu@fiu.edu (1991-11-13)
Re: info on portable assemblers wicklund@intellistor.com (1991-11-14)
Re: info on portable assemblers s891961@minyos.xx.rmit.OZ.AU (1991-11-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: s891961@minyos.xx.rmit.OZ.AU (Peter David Cupit)
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1991 00:39:52 GMT

acmfiu@fiu.edu (ACMFIU) writes:
>I am interested in writing an assembler that will compile code for different
>architectures. If anyone has information on previous research regarding
>this, please let me know.

As far as I know a cross-assembler that targets multiple cpu's is called a
Meta-Assembler, I know of a book on these, just gotta remember the title.
I will have to search a bit...

There is a Canadian company called Universal Cross-Assemblers that has a
meta-assembler, phone (506) 847-0681, they list a large number of targets
(not 68030, 80386) but my fact sheet is a year old and they say that it's
easy to make new tables for the assembler and that they include directions
for that task.

Hope this helps.

Peter David Cupit.
s891961@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au