Re: Current work in compiler/language design.

martens@laurel.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens)
Sun, 17 Nov 1991 15:06:24 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Current work in compiler/language design. hackeron@Athena.MIT.EDU (Harris L. Gilliam - MIT Project Athena) (1991-11-10)
Re: Current work in compiler/language design. preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1991-11-11)
Re: Current work in compiler/language design. hwloidl@risc.uni-linz.ac.at (1991-11-12)
Current work in compiler/language design. objsys@netcom.com (1991-11-14)
Re: Current work in compiler/language design. preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1991-11-16)
Re: Current work in compiler/language design. martens@laurel.cis.ohio-state.edu (1991-11-17)
Re: Current work in compiler/language design. objsys@netcom.com (Bob Hathaway) (1991-11-18)
Re: Current work in compiler/language design. carlton@husc8.harvard.edu (1991-11-19)
Re: Current work in compiler/language design. chambers@cs.washington.edu (1991-11-18)
Re: Current work in compiler/language design. sverker@sics.se (1991-11-19)
Re: Current work in compiler/language design. ea08+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric A. Anderson) (1991-11-19)
Re: Current work in compiler/language design. objsys@netcom.com (1991-11-20)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: martens@laurel.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens)
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1991 15:06:24 GMT

In article 91-11-053 objsys@netcom.com (Bob Hathaway, Object Systems) writes:
>> What are the current hot spots in compiler/language design ?
>I think the previous responses (on explicit and automatic parallelization,
>memory hierarchies, etc.) are best categorized as a EE view of writing
>optimizing compilers for their latest RISC/MIMD/SIMD architectures (and
>they left out object-oriented architectures at that). I thought I'd put
>in a few cents worth for the programming language community.

Parallelization is a hot area in compilers within CS departments, not just
in EE departments. And most people aren't working on parallelizing
compilers just for the latest architecture unless perhaps they're working
specifically on an implementation -- the principles are the same across
most multiprocessors, and at least a few parallelizing compiler
implementations have different back ends for different machines.

[ object oriented plug deleted ]

Certainly there is research in object oriented languages and such nowadays
-- SIGPLAN members get reams of OOPSLA stuff whether they're interested or
not -- but contrary to the prior poster's opinion, object oriented
techniques are not the only ones being worked on by compiler people within
the computer science community -- it's just a small corner of a large
field.
--
-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)