Re: Current work in compiler/language design.

preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (Preston Briggs)
Sat, 16 Nov 1991 04:45:13 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Current work in compiler/language design. hackeron@Athena.MIT.EDU (Harris L. Gilliam - MIT Project Athena) (1991-11-10)
Re: Current work in compiler/language design. preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1991-11-11)
Re: Current work in compiler/language design. hwloidl@risc.uni-linz.ac.at (1991-11-12)
Current work in compiler/language design. objsys@netcom.com (1991-11-14)
Re: Current work in compiler/language design. preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1991-11-16)
Re: Current work in compiler/language design. martens@laurel.cis.ohio-state.edu (1991-11-17)
Re: Current work in compiler/language design. objsys@netcom.com (Bob Hathaway) (1991-11-18)
Re: Current work in compiler/language design. carlton@husc8.harvard.edu (1991-11-19)
Re: Current work in compiler/language design. chambers@cs.washington.edu (1991-11-18)
What's so great about dynamic binding? spitzak@girtab.usc.edu (1991-11-19)
Re: Current work in compiler/language design. sverker@sics.se (1991-11-19)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (Preston Briggs)
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1991 04:45:13 GMT

objsys@netcom.com (Bob Hathaway, Object Systems) writes:
>// What are the current hot spots in compiler/language design ?
>I think the previous responses (on explicit and automatic parallelization,
>memory hierarchies, etc.) are best categorized as a EE view of writing
>optimizing compilers for their latest RISC/MIMD/SIMD architectures (and
>they left out object-oriented architectures at that).

I doubt the EE's would have me, except perhaps to write compilers for
their latest toys. I was trying to describe what some of the compiler
people at Rice consider significant and important problems. The viewpoint
is narrow and significantly biased towards high-performance computing. In
particular, we usually think about the problems posed by all these new
machines.

(if "narrow and biased" sounds bad, think "focused")

>I thought I'd put
>in a few cents worth for the programming language community.

And they were good words, except...
>The hot spot in programming languages today is object-oriented

This also seems narrow and biased. Every year, POPL is filled with plenty
of papers on topics besides OO. I think POPL reflects (some of) the
direction(s) of the programming language community -- OOPSLA reflects the
interests of people who are into OOP.

Preston Briggs